Hey, in doing my own research, I found these helpful articles. I'll let you know what we find out as we try to implement!
and Eloqua support recently gave me this: http://www.emailology.org/#2
Such a worthy topic! Optimizing web experiences for the mobile environment really is an imperative, not an option, these days. A best practice I would offer is the adoption of Responsive Web Design. That is, the practice of designing and developing single websites (and campaign landing pages) in a way that allows them to fluidly adapt layout, content, even functionality, in response to a visitor’s screen size, resolution and orientation – all from just one code base. Put another way, one website can be visually rendered as different layouts for different situations (i.e. different screen sizes and more) to optimize the user experience appropriately. Media queries (a relatively new enhancement of CSS3) are the key mechanism that enables a website to be “responsive.”
I just posted an article on Topliners digging into this topic a little more:Want to create better mobile experiences for your buyers? Try Responsive Web Design.
The same article also contains a screenshot of a fully responsive Eloqua-hosted campaign landing we recently created for a client.
Quarry also has a Guide on the topic - “The Savvy-Marketers Guide to Responsive Web Design” - as well as a slideshare deck about Responsive Web Design showing more examples.
Hope this helps.
Richard is correct that responsive web design is a good option. We recently used an agency to help us create a responsive landing page for a form that we could link to from a mobile brochure app one of our marcom teams had created. One thing we found with the design we got is that it looks great on tablets and mobile phones but terrible on laptops and desktops - this is most likely due to our budget and the project scope since the form was only going to be linked to from the mobile app there was likely no reason to code the page for viewing on other device types. We would definitely invest in a project like this again and expand the scope to include all device types.