4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2013 1:22 PM by Sarah Hums RSS

Closing the loop - Eloqua to SFDC

Sarah Hums

Need to talk through this and see if it makes sense...please help! If I'm missing something or completely on the wrong path, please also let me know.

I have defined the buyer cycle stages and we're putting in an Eloqua contact field called "Lead Stage". Once it hits a certain lead score, it will populate the corresponding Lead Stage field in SF (which will exist on both the contact and lead record in SFDC as many of our "leads" are actually in our system as contacts) with the stage "MQL." We'll put in a workflow or alert or something to let the appropriate lead qual rep know there is a new MQL. They will call to qualify the lead and either accept or reject it by selecting the Lead Stage as SQL or SRL.  SRL's will go back into a bucket for future re-engagement in Eloqua. SQLs will be converted to contacts then transitioned over to the sales rep who will do initial discovery and either a) create an opp, b) reject it again by changing the Lead Stage to SRL or c) accept it by changing it to a SAL to keep in their prospect pipeline for awhile because the person is worth continued follow up, just not ready to be placed in an opp yet. If option c is is selected there will be a conditional field that prompts them to select if they want to put them back into nurture or exclude it from nurture.

Now...my question is, at that point - what next? How do I tie back the initial MQL (a person) to a closed opportunity (associated with an account)? We will use SF campaigns and each of the MQLs will have a SFDC Campaign ID & member status.

What SF report can I use to get the closed loop data on MQLs that converted to closed-won opps? How would I run this? Am I missing anything to be able to pull that data?

Is there any way I can tie the front end of the buyer cycle funnel (the stuff that happens in Eloqua before it becomes an MQL - SUS, PRO, INQ) into Salesforce somehow to show the conversion from stage to stage in a SF report/dashboard or do I need to do the Eloqua reporting in Eloqua, the SF reporting in SF and then manually merge them together to create a funnel report?

If a person is an MQL once...then gets rejected and pulled back into the PROSPECT stage, and comes back again as an MQL a second time, should I count them as separate MQLs delivered or a single MQL?

What if a lead is not marketing generated but rather from a sales cold call? Do I need additional stages or should we have the rep put them directly into SQL, SAL or opp? Is there a way I can track the flow of a lead through the different stages so I can see which ones originated with sales or marketing? Or...would it be easier to do this through lead sources?

Lots of questions, I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around this.

PS - we are on E10 and do not have the ability to use Eloqua Campaigns to my knowledge.

• Closing the loop - Eloqua to SFDC
    Chad Horenfeldt

Hi Sarah - many questions. I'll attempt to answer some of them and have others chime in on others. First of all, well done so far. Getting to this stage is not an easy task. Thanks for posing your questions on Topliners as I know others will be interested.

1. How do I tie back the initial MQL (a person) to a closed opportunity (associated with an account)? This is not an easy one and something that many organizaitions struggle with. My recommendation is to ensure that sales reps add a contact(s) role to the Opportunity in SFDC. I know that even we strguggled with getting reps to do this so we put in rules in SFDC that prevented an Opportunity from changing stages until a contact role was added to the opportunity.

2. What SF report can I use to get the closed loop data on MQLs that converted to closed-won opps? How would I run this? Am I missing anything to be able to pull that data? I think I may have answered this wityh question #1. On August 14th Eloqua will be a adding a closed loop report which will provide you with this data assuming that you have done #1 correctly. More details to come very soon.

3. Is there any way I can tie the front end of the buyer cycle funnel (the stuff that happens in Eloqua before it becomes an MQL - SUS, PRO, INQ) into Salesforce somehow to show the conversion from stage to stage in a SF report/dashboard or do I need to do the Eloqua reporting in Eloqua, the SF reporting in SF and then manually merge them together to create a funnel report? Eloqua's Revenue Suite http://www.eloqua.com/platform/revenue-suite/
    will allow you to do this as of Aug 14 (on E10 Express as well as E9!). Just let your Account Manager know you are interested.

4. If a person is an MQL once...then gets rejected and pulled back into the PROSPECT stage, and comes back again as an MQL a second time, should I count them as separate MQLs delivered or a single MQL? I believe they are seperate MQLs.

5. What if a lead is not marketing generated but rather from a sales cold call? Do I need additional stages or should we have the rep put them directly into SQL, SAL or opp? Is there a way I can track the flow of a lead through the different stages so I can see which ones originated with sales or marketing? Or...would it be easier to do this through lead sources? I recommend different lead sources.

This is something that I'm trying to achieve myself.  We are looking at using primary campaign source but struggling with how to get the sales people on board with assigning a contact role to an opportunity.  We were looking at doing it in a more automated fashion.  Has anybody tried that?

• Re: Closing the loop - Eloqua to SFDC
        Sarah Hums

We put a button on the Contact Record called "Create Opportunity" and coded some crazy stuff in SFDC to auto-populate the Contact Role on the Opp with that Contact's name. If I remember right that caused the Primary Campaign Source to attach correctly to the opp.

Whether or not this really works depends a lot on enforcing your sales ops process in SFDC, which is why I claim that marketing automation needs to be BFFs with sales ops from day one.

Here are the things that can cause issues with the approach we took:

1. Is the rep actually converting the opp off the contact record of a contact that was in your campaign? We had problems where they would get an MQL record of one contact, but end up talking to someone else at the account and started working off of that. That's when the linkage gets broken.

2. Is there any other way that a rep can create an opportunity besides from the Create Opportunity button on the Contact Record? If yes, then you risk them not following your process and creating it from the Opportunities tab or some other way. And again, that's where it breaks down.

I found that my campaign ROI data was always inconsistent - and that inconsistency exactly mirrored the inconsistencies in how my various reps were handling leads in SFDC. It also had a lot do with the fact that we basically should have ripped out SFDC and started over with a fresh install because it was just a cluster and I don't know how any rep could have gone in there and followed a process with the state of things as they were

This is one of the most mind-boggling things in marketing automation to me. There are a million ways to skin this cat but really it comes down to if people do what you want them to do once they get that lead. You can pretty much make the systems do whatever you need them to do but changing people is the hard part. Doable, but hard!

We currently use a SFDC Campaign called "Marketing Inquiry Pool" to tag everything sent to our inside sales team.  Upon conversion, this campaign (along with a few additional lead fields) are mapped to the opportunity.

Since there can be multiple campaigns on any given lead, we then utilize a "Campaign with Influenced Opportunities" report in SalesForce to look at each months new marketing opportunities.